Do I need a cam sensor

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

McMuck
MS/Extra Newbie

Do I need a cam sensor

Post by McMuck »

Hi Folks I'm new and in the design stages. I have a BMW flat twin, so pistons hit the top at the same time. I'm using dual plug and wasted spark, and trying to use a vr on the crank. first time using trigger wheels and missing teeth so this will be a learning experience. I can machine anything I need for the fitment of the trigger wheel. so do I need a can sensor? I need to use wasted spark to get enough squirts to make it tuneable from what Ive read, so in my case what would the cam sensor do for me? I did a fuel only many years ago so some of the info is coming back to me slowly as I read but ignition is new for me. The second part of this question is can microsquirt drive both coils at the same time without issue?
Kelly
RumbleMouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Do I need a cam sensor

Post by RumbleMouse »

You could run wasted spark with a single 2-lead ignition coil. A cam sensor isn't needed for semi-sequential fueling but if you want to run full sequential you would need a cam sensor.
Turbo Slant Six in a highly modified S10 chassis
MS3ProEvo
The Car https://www.s10forum.com/threads/ss-10.855639/
The Motor https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopi ... 12&t=56352
McMuck
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by McMuck »

This engine will be dual plugged so I require two dual output coils. I'm just starting to get my head back into this but I'm not sure I'd need sequential on a twin but I have the option of using a cam sensor if I need to. as I continued to read I found where there can be issues with a vr sensor being bothered by noise from the alternator so I found an optical setup thats for this engine so I think I have the crank sensor sorted. Now I just need to figure out if I need a cam sensor, or if I need sequential injection would be a better description.
Kelly
McMuck
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by McMuck »

The answer appears to be yes: I do need a cam sensor and I do need sequential injection. Not sure if anyone is paying any attention to this but I hate threads that stop with no conclusion : ) so the plan so far is to use a vr crank sensor at TDC and a cam sensor on VR2 at 10 BTDC. Dual outlet coils with 4 pin igniters, dual spark and sequential.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

McMuck wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15 pm Not sure if anyone is paying any attention to this but I hate threads that stop with no conclusion : )
Thank you for this, I feel the same. Sorry I had nothing helpful to add.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/