MS1 v3.0 with no RPM

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

r1gooo
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1 v3.0 with no RPM

Post by r1gooo »

Hello everyone and thanks for your time.
As the title said, Im dealing with no RPM in my project MS1 with v3.0. in my VW Gol 4 cilinder N/A.

DISCLAIMER: Every other sensor it is running propperly except for the crank sensor (many doubts here).
DISCLAIMER 2: Using oem DB36 loom from diyautotune and correct setup for spark outputs.

Im so exited about this project because its like about to reach "an end" but somehow wichcract happen and some things dosnt work at all :|

The first question i would like to point it out is that i was having some tooth signal from the Diagnostics & High speed loggers but apparently not enough to have RPM, that was really weird and actually confused me a lot. Afterwards trying to make it better the welding in order to improve the strength of it the signal went off.

Then i recheck the wiring thing in order to see if the problem was a miswiring thing but the white/black wire with the signal and the ground and the shield to the black one in the loom.
At this moment i was running a 3-pin VR sensor with 565 ohm of resistance between + and -.

Then the VR vs Hall sensor Question came into my mind, since i was not sure which one to pick at first, and digging even further i just finish dissasembly my unit in order to understand which jumper is connected with who and many other doubts came into my mind as well. In order to make my path more clear, can somebody hel me with this questions please?

1- The connector has 3 pins but when i purchased it (asking for a VR sensor) they brought me this one but when i meassure the resistance i just got around 600 Ohms, its that a VR sensor, right? i Just got connect the Signal to pin White/Black and the others Ground and Shield to the black one.

2- Base on the attach images, should my MS1 run Hall sensor rather than VR sensor?
(im not an expert in circuits, but the VRIN to the TACHTSEL are not not connected, so im thinking about HALL effect, its that alright? Im kind a confused here. and maybe my problem start from here, which is why im trying to find some clues here)

My main doubt here is if i should insist in my "VR sensor" or if i should run into Hall effect, but then the circuitery-doubts arise to muy mind.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 v3.0 with no RPM

Post by rickb794 »

:arrow:

What is under the tape?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
r1gooo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by r1gooo »

There you have.
As i said before, not sure about the "circuitery" behind the MS...

Any help could be very important to me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Most VW distributors after the mechanical injection era are Hall effect. Do you have a picture of your distributor? Also, if this is a 4 tooth distributor, make sure you don't have a wheel decoder mode on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

What year Golf? In 1993 when the Mk3 came out VW switched the 4 cylinder from a 4 window hall effect distributor to a 60-2 internal crank trigger with a vr sensor and a one window hall effect distributor.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
r1gooo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by r1gooo »

In fact its not a Golf, its call Gol (different model here in south america).
The engine its pretty similar but instead of being transversal engine it is longitudinally.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

The only vw that I know of that have a 60-2 and are hall are the ABF (euro/row 2.0 16v that runs Digifant 3) and the small displacement engines that use the crank seal 60-2. All the others use a VR sensor. The fact that it seems like you can get a decent resistance measurement on 2 pins is making me think it's VR as well.

I don't know what is on the input there but normally you would use tachselect to VRIN and tesl to VROUT and it will work fine with both pots fully ccw. Although on your board they look like they are installed backward and a lot of turns clockwise would be best.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!