Injector channel switching with hardware?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Injector channel switching with hardware?

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

Since the code doesn't support controlling the injector channels separately and this question has come up before, what about running both channels and table switching through a 3PDT ON-ON toggle switch? The idea being that ch1 gets shut off while ch2 and table switching become active together. In my hypothesized application the switchover would be done at idle to reduce risk of bad things happening.

Would it be a bad idea to run injector circuits through the same switch as a logic input? Maybe optoisolate the logic circuit?
1972 Ford Pinto - 2.3T, T5, MS-II v3.0.
1968 Mustang - still carbureted...for now.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Injector channel switching with hardware?

Post by jsmcortina »

Could you give us some context of what you are trying to do? I feel like I'm reading the end of a story and can't scroll back to the start.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

I had a similar concept for MS2 to use the i_inj1 and i_inj2 mainboard channels in tandem by intercepting the inputs of U4 on the v3.0 board and outputting either pin2 inputA to both pins2&4 OR pin4 inputB to to both pins2&4, by interposing a daughterboard between the U4 socket and the pcb. It switched using tableswitch. The purpose was to double the current handling capability when switching injector types for a dual fuel setup.

I still have it somewhere.

kind regards
Marek
65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

jsmcortina wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:56 am Could you give us some context of what you are trying to do? I feel like I'm reading the end of a story and can't scroll back to the start.

James
The purpose is to switch between two different fuels.
joliebrousseau
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joliebrousseau »

It is generally not recommended to run injector circuits through the same switch as a logic input. However, you can optoisolate the logic circuit to avoid any potential issues. opt coupling devices work as logic level changeovers between two circuits and have the ability to block noise transfer across the integrated circuits.
65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

Yeah, I half expected some kind of isolation to be a good idea if not completely necessary.