[Feature Request] Expanded Water/Methanol Controls And Safeguard

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

blackdevilsupra
MS/Extra Newbie

[Feature Request] Expanded Water/Methanol Controls And Safeguard

Post by blackdevilsupra »

I had posted similar request on the FB forum.
Once there is a more advance water/methanol (WMI) setup other than the standard post intercooler 1 or 2 nozzle plumbing, then the simple low water mix tank level trigger isn't quite sufficient. Multi nozzle Direct Port setups, Volute spray, or Pre-compressor spray setups require more dynamic controls and proper safeguards.

System safeguards can be established from a system pressure sensor, IAT/MAT, EGT, etc. Some active system response can include:
  • When the system is activated, if the pressure sensor feedback indicate a low / minimum designated pressure after a predetermined elapsed time, then this will generally indicate issues with the pump, or a pinch feed line.
  • When activated, if the pressure sensor feedback indicates (extremely) low pressure, then this will generally indicate that a feed line is open or leaking (dumping out on the ground pressure).
  • High/Low variance within a certain time period (spikes). If presor sensor feedback spikes within certain amount of time, then this will generally indicate clog nozzles, or blockages in downstream lines.
  • IAT/MAT feedback - If a certain designated minimum anticipated air temp isn't achieved while the system is engaged, then the system nozzles aren't spraying as expected, clog nozzles, of some other component is malfunctioning.
ECU action could involve disengaging the system and returning VE/Boost/spark maps back to normal states.

Picture for reference
WMI Safeties and Analog Pressure Input.jpg
WMI Safeties and Analog Pressure Input.jpg (146.78 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
Attachments
Direct Port WMI Setup-2.jpg
Direct Port WMI Setup-2.jpg (146.34 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
lowkeyturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: [Feature Request] Expanded Water/Methanol Controls And Safeguard

Post by lowkeyturbo »

This can be done VIA an external meth controller that requests a "arming" input aka "you want to use meth" and a "meth system ok" output.

The output can then be used as a input to the mega squirt as a map switch to a meth map for timing and fueling.

I will be developing such a controller in the near future and it will be able to integrate into the the megasquirt canbus.

I don't think the added complexity of this is something the MS team will jump on working.
blackdevilsupra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blackdevilsupra »

lowkeyturbo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:38 pm This can be done VIA an external meth controller that requests a "arming" input aka "you want to use meth" and a "meth system ok" output.

The output can then be used as a input to the mega squirt as a map switch to a meth map for timing and fueling.

I will be developing such a controller in the near future and it will be able to integrate into the the megasquirt canbus.

I don't think the added complexity of this is something the MS team will jump on working.
Now, you would think with a MS3PRO Ultimate + Micro I/OBox and Tunerstudio MS Ultra, and the appropriate sensors, all that I presently have, you wouldn't need any additional electronics to properly control and provide some enhanced safeguards for a somewhat simple (relatively speaking) WMI system. I believe the ECU hardware is capable, so either the firmware or the tuning software would need these enhancements integrated. If I'm wrong, then my patriotic aspiration of 'buy American" was fool hearted and I seriously purchased the wrong equipment.
lowkeyturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lowkeyturbo »

You would need extra logic and check specifically for the Water-Meth system.

System pressure, system flow, system level, etc etc. You can probably do it in MS3, but it wont be as robust.