Fuel Mileage Control

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

65Galaxie
MS/Extra Newbie

Fuel Mileage Control

Post by 65Galaxie »

Hello All,

I've created this account because I wish to build a megasquirt ecu specifically to control the MPG of my 65 Galaxie. The idea came to me while driving my new truck and watching the Instant MPG readout on the dash tell me that I was getting 8 MPG while accelerating faster than I needed to be. I thought being able to program my lowest acceptable MPG limit would be awesome... on my '65 Galaxie that seems to get about 12 MPG with a carb. It has a 289 V8 Windsor that I'm interested in converting over to fuel injection. What I'm most interested in doing is programming a custom unit that will allow the ECU to use the Instant MPG that modern cars have to dial in my desired MPG range with a minimum acceleration setting. The ECU automatically controls an electric throttle body to limit the rate of acceleration and maintain a minimum MPG selected with the limit that acceleration never falls below a minimum rate of acceleration for safety. The program will have an override switch, perhaps mounted on the floorboard to the left of the brake pedal activated with the left foot. When a faster rate of acceleration is desired, you simply hold down the override pedal with your left foot.
For example: I program in that the vehicle maintains a minimum of 15 mpg with an override limit of a minimum of XXX amount of g-forces or XXX rate of acceleration. Having an override switch allows me to to instantly override the limits when necessary such as pulling out onto a street or merge into traffic.

I imagine I would need:
- electronic throttle body
- accelerometer sensor
- fuel-flow rate sensor
- manifold pressure sensor
- throttle position sensor

Has this already been done and I'm trying to re-invent the wheel or is this a first that we can make happen? I've already been told that an MS3 based ECU can work with electronic throttle bodies with the use of a DBW throttle controller like this one: DBW Throttle controller, LDperformance. https://ldperformance.net/product/dbw-t ... ontroller/
The ECU will receive a TPS (throttle position signal) from the controller, but the MS3 is not able to control the throttle body position, the controller does this on its own. So there isn't a way for the MS3 to change the throttle position, as it only receives the TPS signal from the controller.

A MS3 can accept inputs from a GPS module and show that information in a datalog. It can also log information from a fuel flow rate sensor. The limitation here is that it wouldn't be able to act on the sensors input. It does take inputs from MAP and TPS sensors for fuel calculations like most ECUs will.

So... can the MS be programmed to be able to act on the sensors inputs? I know nothing about programming so I don't know if this is a massive undertaking or not. I'd love some feedback on the idea.

Thanks - Wyatt