MS3 deadtime entry - better or worse?

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

MS3 deadtime entry - better or worse?

Post by Marek »

Marek wrote: ↑Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:08 am
"Similrly, the latest beta code recently made deadtime usage "better" for 4 cylinder users but massively "worse" for 12 cylinder dual fuel users."

jsmcortina wrote » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:27 pm
"Please start a new topic and explain why you think this.
James"

The latest beta code for MS3 changes the way deadtimes are entered.

The method used up until now has had a separate entry for each injector, entered for an assumed voltage of 13.2v and up to one of four user definable voltage correction curves.

The new method simply has four deadtime versus voltage curves.

For people who run a simple four cylinder engine, the new version is obviously easier to manage. They only have four injectors and do not need to recalculate deadtime to the 13.2v basecase number - just enter the data you measured.

If you have relatively few injectors and they are all of the same type, all purchased or all reconditioned at the same time, you'd probably be invariant to either method of entering the data.

However, people who run either staged injectors or a dual fuel setup on a big multi cylinder engine are at a disadvantage with the new method. As a v12 dual fuel user, I have 24 injectors, 12 of one type and 12 of another completely different type with different electronics to driving them, but I will only have four deadtimes to characterise them by. If you assume there will always be an outlier somewhere, then lots of injectors now have to be bundled into the nearest deadtime curve group. That means almost none of them are ever accurate even to one decimal place and different types of injector might have to share each other's voltage correction curves. Anyone with some reconditioned/cleaned injectors will find a spread of values and there is no work around other than to bundle them into just 4 groups. 24 into 4 doesn't go very well.

I'm not saying the new method doesn't work, but the more injectors you have, the less you're going to like this.

kind regards
Marek