Hi from new Zealand

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rick2024
MS/Extra Newbie

Hi from new Zealand

Post by Rick2024 »

Hi Ive put a Ga16de engine into my Micra K11 and boosted it. I was looking at management for a while and came across a megasquirt ecu. Megasquirt ms3 with daughter board max I think it is . It's on its way to me . Not sure of what functions it supports yet or its capabilities. Something to learn from . I'm hoping to go mafless and bin the distributor and use cops and cas set up .

My first question would be is the internal map sensor good for boost as when I was looking at speeduino it was advised to go external. Also the iat sensor does it have to be a gm sensor or can I use the iat from a Subaru?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Hi from new Zealand

Post by grom_e30 »

On board sensor is an absolute 2.5 bar sensor so it can read up to 1.5 bar positive boost so up to about 20psi from the turbo is fine above that you need another option. Iat from a scooby should be fine as long as you calibrate the thermistor tables to match. Mad delete should work fine using speed density and coil on plug will be fine as long as they can be triggered by 5v logic signals ( eg have inbuilt ignitors )
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Rick2024
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rick2024 »

Cheers what's the 3 red LEDs for on the outside of the ecu? I was kinda of expecting it to be for power?

Also how would I no if my cops had on board ignitors or not? . The ecu was configured for a 4age engine before I had it . It's set to run cops I just don't no if I have the right ones
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Rick2024 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:12 am Cheers what's the 3 red LEDs for on the outside of the ecu? I was kinda of expecting it to be for power?

Also how would I no if my cops had on board ignitors or not? . The ecu was configured for a 4age engine before I had it . It's set to run cops I just don't no if I have the right ones
The answers to these questions are covered in the Hardware Manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Rick2024
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rick2024 »

Thanks for your reply.

I bought the Ms3 second hand. It was configured for a 4age cops. As silly as this may sound it said in the sale the the Bosch ignitors will be removed before sale . I'm hoping it's nothing in the ecu that's been removed. I wouldn't no what the ignitors look like in the ecu.

Also abit dubious about the ecu as most manufacturers ECUs I can find lives and grounds and get on with it. All I've got here is what looks like one red wire with a label on it for ignition power it says and a chunky looking eyelet with grounds going to it . I'm assuming here I'm gonna need the tunner studio to check everything works . I assume the external 3 leds on the Ms3 was for power as nothing lights up