Cable size wasted cop V6

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Powderminkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Cable size wasted cop V6

Post by Powderminkey »

Hi,
I'm in the process of wiring up wasted cop on my V6. It's been running fine with a standard coil pack and wasted spark, I have an ignition amplifier between the ms and the coil pack at present as this was recommended by my ms builder and it works really well.

New plan is to run: 6 toyota aygo coils (90919W2001), keep the ignition amp, keep wasted spark.

Will 14awg cable be sufficient to run the six coils from a single 30 amp fused source?
Will 14awg cable be sufficient to run 2 coils at a time from the 3 feeds from the ignition amp?
Or is this all just overkill cable size wise

I've done plenty of searching and I just can't find the answer. I normally get wiring but the fact that they take on power for ms at a time kinda throws me.

Thanks
Matt
Engine: Vauxhall Vectra Gsi V6 ecotec (x25xe) ms3, Rx8 gearbox, Volvo 240 axle, running in a 1974 vauxhall viva daily
Christian_Scirocco2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Cable size wasted cop V6

Post by Christian_Scirocco2 »

Hi Matt,

AWG14 is to thin for 30A load. It would work, because the load is clocked by rpm, but the wire and Isolation could geting warm in a warm engine bay. Thats not so good. I as a electrican proffessional would use AWG 13 or 12.

Edit:
You want to split it in three pairs? Then AWG15 is enough for two coils. Only if you get a short circuit its not good for the wire.
VW Scirocco MK2 , MS3 V.3.57 with MS3x . Fully Seq. :yeah!:
Powderminkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Powderminkey »

Thanks Christian
I'll use 12awg (3mm2) for the live coil feeds and the neg signals from the ignition amplifier then.
I'd rather be safe than sorry as it gets used as a daily it needs to be reliable.

The cops will run wasted spark, so 3 pairs of 2 cops at a time. One fused live will split and feed to all 6 cops and the 3 outlets from the ignition amp will split into pairs to run wasted pairs.
I have no idea the amps drawn by a single cop unit. I just don't understand current draw once it starts being used in millisecond pulses or whether that even changes draw.

Thanks
Matt
Engine: Vauxhall Vectra Gsi V6 ecotec (x25xe) ms3, Rx8 gearbox, Volvo 240 axle, running in a 1974 vauxhall viva daily
Powderminkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Powderminkey »

Oh Christian, I've reread your reply, I might have confused matters with my 30amp fuse sentence. I just guessed at 30amp so I could use an example. I don't actually understand what draw the 6 cops would actual take

Hope I haven't made things more confusing

Matt
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

14 Ga is plenty big enough for powering 6 coils. You'll probably never see more than 10-15A draw at any given time.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Powderminkey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Powderminkey »

Thanks prof315

Thanks Christian

Genuinely appreciate your replies

Matt
turbothis
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbothis »

prof315 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:44 am 14 Ga is plenty big enough for powering 6 coils. You'll probably never see more than 10-15A draw at any given time.
i agree
i only run 14ga for the main COP feed line
2002 Montero dakar rig
FORD 3.0L DOHC duratec / 6HP26
gt3582 boost to the moon
Ms3X running and making fire!

dodge M37 look-a-like 1 ton
4.2l chevy atlas / 6R80
66mm turbocharger ~8#
Ms3X sequential finally kicking some butt