Engine cut out.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Engine cut out.

Post by Trump »

We have a 6 cylinder running a MS3 Pro (early model) with IBT tune. Last time out suffered two instances of dead cut while driving. Each time the engine would not restart without a simple reboot (key off and on). Both instances occurred during acceleration away from traffic lights.

Any suggestions to a possible cause.
CurrentTune.msq
(273.84 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine cut out.

Post by grom_e30 »

Would really need a datalog of the event
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Trump wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:46 pm We have a 6 cylinder running a MS3 Pro (early model) with IBT tune. Last time out suffered two instances of dead cut while driving. Each time the engine would not restart without a simple reboot (key off and on). Both instances occurred during acceleration away from traffic lights.

Any suggestions to a possible cause.

CurrentTune.msq
Definitely a datalog needed, I will say though that I had something similar to this when I was running non-resistor plugs, I would get resets during WOT pulls and I would have to key off then back on again to restart.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

Sorry about delay on this but have been away racing and the Australian F1 GP. Back into it now.
Getting a log is difficult as it is hard to know just when it will happen again. The owner is reluctant to take the car out as he is concerned it may not make it home. He is ordering a new ECU but I am concerned that it is not the issue. My thinking is the modified Mitsubishi distributor he has used is dropping sync. I have had sync problems in my car but did not require a reboot.
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try setting SD card logging to always on; that way at least when it happens you're bound to have a log of it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

Problem happened twice more. After about 30min driving in town the engine cut. Reboot and it started OK. About 300yds further on it cut again. This time it would not restart. The car was flat topped home. On arrival, car started OK and was driven off the truck. The owner, who has a marine mechanical workshop thinks it felt like a fuel pump and will fit a new one. He will attempt to drive it to me and I will program it to log with the SD card and see what happens. I am doubtful about the fuel pump but it is inexpensive, easy to change so should not hurt if it does not fix it.
Brian