Crank/Fires No idle

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

NicolaRice
MS/Extra Newbie

Crank/Fires No idle

Post by NicolaRice »

Hi all, first time posting on here and my first microsquirt project so I'm learning as I go so help me out if you can!

I have a microsquirt module and a Volvo b21ft engine (mostly though it seems to be a Smörgåsbord of parts. The setup related to the microsquirt is as follows:
  • 36-1 trigger wheel
  • hall effect sensor
  • GM IAT sensor
  • AEM x-series inline wideband UEGO controller w/ bosch wideband o2 sensor
  • 032 905 106B 4-tower wasted spark
  • Injectors red Bosch 0280155759
  • GM 3bar MAP

We have gotten the car to start but cannot get it to idle for more than a dozen seconds and not without rediculous backfires and misfiring. We think everything is mechanically sound (More or less). I've attached our tune and a data log.

Main questions are:
  • If our VE table is remotely close to what it should be, we have used the built-in tool and tried to research and tried messing around with it but not much progress, and it's been a long time.
  • If our timing is horribly off, hard to find any forms on b21 engines but it seems to run best at idle when it's retarded a bit, we have it around 5 dg for cranking however which seems to be best.
Pretty much lost at this point if anyone has somewhere to start hardware or software
Attachments
CurrentTune.msq
(119.85 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
forums1.mlg
(334.28 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Crank/Fires No idle

Post by grom_e30 »

your rpm signal is losing sync. is it a factory fit crank wheel / sensor setup? can you take a tooth log
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
NicolaRice
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by NicolaRice »

grom_e30 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:15 am your rpm signal is losing sync. is it a factory fit crank wheel / sensor setup? can you take a tooth log
Hey thanks for the reply, It is not a factory setup, attached are photos of the setup and the tooth log.
Image Image
Hopefully, you can see these photos. It seems a little futsy to get photos in the forum. one log of with fuel other log of longer cranking w/o fuel so its more steady
Attachments
ToothLoggerFuel2024-03-22_10.50.16.csv
(59.58 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
ToothLoggerNoFuel2024-03-22_10.52.12.csv
(105.6 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i would be looking at simple things first as its a retrofit like sensor air gap. trigger wheel runout, make sure the mounting for the sensor is really sturdy so it can vibrate and change the sensor gap ect.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
NicolaRice
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by NicolaRice »

grom_e30 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:57 am i would be looking at simple things first as its a retrofit like sensor air gap. trigger wheel runout, make sure the mounting for the sensor is really sturdy so it can vibrate and change the sensor gap ect.
Ended up changing the hall sensor setup and reducing vibration/ crank pulley wobble and started up. Thanks!