Volvo 240 B230F MS3x LPG DD

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
DailyDriverMods
MS/Extra Newbie

Volvo 240 B230F MS3x LPG DD

Post by DailyDriverMods »

After initiating this conversion one year ago, i can finally qualify it as a succes story. This Volvo 240 GL is my daily driver and is equipped with a 4 cylinder 2.3 litre 8 valve engine, B230F in code langauge. :RTFM: Since this car is from '91 it already had a Bosch LH2.4 electronic injection system which meant that the car was equipped with the basic set of EFI sensors which made the conversion a lot easier. The car is converted to run on both LPG and petrol, a switch in the dash determines which fuel is active.

ImageImage
[clicktures!]

The first step was buying an (used) MS3x set which I gave some TLC before installing it. The case got sandblasted and spray painted, the thermal paste was replaced, all the screws were retightened with a drip of threadlocker, the knock and RTC modules were added and finally all the jumpers and potentiometers were checked/adjusted.

ImageImage

The wiring loom under the dash is a combination of a few diy wiring looms that plugs into the original wiring harness, the LPG piggyback harness and some additional stuff that got added over time. It doesn't look pretty but it works a treat, a rework of the wiring loom is on the to-do list.

Things are looking better under the engine bay though:

I'm using the following hardware setup:
- MS3x with Knock and RTC module
- 14point7 Spartan 2 wideband Lambda sensor
- Bosch wideband knock sensor
- built-in 250Kpa MAP sensor
- Hitachi MAF0034 frequency MAF sensor with built-in IAT sensor
- Bosch TPS sensor from a Volvo 850
- 60-2 crank trigger VR
- original PWM IAC
- MSD 6AL/Blaster II ignition system

- Siemens Deka 630cc petrol injectors
- AC STAG W02 BFC LPG injectors with JBperf P&H drivers
- AC STAG R01 250KM reducer
- LPG pressure and temp sensor

The MAF sensor isn't the original one, i needed a sensor that could measure more airflow and uses a frequency signal in order to have good signal integrity even when using an old wiring loom in combination with a distributor a MSD Ignition system. The MAF housing is 3D printed out of PETG filament and works great, even after a year of usage:
ImageImage

The tune uses MAF for fuel, MAP for spark and MAP/TPS for AE, each fuel runs on it's own set of maps. At the moment I don't have acces to my tuning files but i will add them later for those that are curious. The engine itself is relatively stock but it will be turbo swapped later on. I've collected all the neccessary turbo goodies, swapped the clutch out for a stronger one from a turbo car and even drilled an oil return hole in the engine block.
The engine setup at the moment:

- B230F (stock 9.8:1 compression)
- 530 cylinder head with cleaned up/ported valve bowls and chamfered combustion chamber around the valves
- IPD Turbo cam (256 degrees duration, 11.95mm lift, retarded ~3 degrees)

All these mods together add up to a nice power gain and more importantly, a broad powerband that's suitable for daily driving:
Please ignore the power peak after 5500RPM, this is caused by throttle lift off combined with the rolling-loss calculation of the dyno, i'm planning to do a new session revving it out further (rev limiter is at 6800 now), the ignition tables have also been through many revisions so there's probably a slight improvement in power now. The lower lines are on LPG and the upper lines are on petrol, here you can see the slight loss of power when running on LPG.

After almost a year of adjusting the tune and reading stuff on the internet, I finally got it to start and run like the OEM system but now on both the fuels with the flexibility of the MS3x system. This is very important since it's my daily driver so it really has to be a dependable system that's nice to drive. I'll keep this thread updated throughout my adventure with the MS3 system.

There will always be a to-do list, but these are my current points:

- add turbo (TD04HL-16T) with EBC via MS3
- water/methanol injection via MS3
- fix the knock module (the knock sensor works, the wiring is good, but still no knock signal...)
- replace the RTC battery (it won't keep it's time)
- add a CAM sensor for sequential injection
- add EGT sensor
Volvo 240GL '91|B230F+T 8.7:1|46/38 valves|T-cam|16T|KLRacing Intercooler|DIY MS3x|MAF/MAP tune|Petrol+LPG dual fuel
DailyDriverMods
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Volvo 240 B230F MS3x LPG DD

Post by DailyDriverMods »

I have added my current tune in the attachment of this post. Please note that it is only finetuned for the secondary fuel (LPG), the primary fuel (Petrol) is more of a fail-safe for when i run out of LPG. Please let me know if the tune helped you of if you have any remarks/suggestions.
Attachments
240_15-10-2021.msq
(287.47 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Volvo 240GL '91|B230F+T 8.7:1|46/38 valves|T-cam|16T|KLRacing Intercooler|DIY MS3x|MAF/MAP tune|Petrol+LPG dual fuel