engine dying and not restarting

Tuning concepts, methods, tips etc.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turbotater
MS/Extra Newbie

engine dying and not restarting

Post by turbotater »

hello
i have BBC with twin turbos , megasquirt ultimate , red diyautotune crank sensor , efi connection cam sensor , 210 lb hr injectors , ls style throttle body.
I had this engine running in batch mode and drove the car a few times with good reliability but it had sync errors and it would not rev cleanly above 3000.
I changed to sequential and now the sync errors are gone but the engine runs for a period of time and then dies and will not restart for long periods of time.
the only noticeable thing i see is megalog viewer shows a different vastly different fuel pressure values in tuner studio vs megalog viewer. I have installed a mechanical gage to verify the displayed values in tuner studio, I am using analog input 1 with a field name of fuel pressure. i have a displayed value in tuner studio of 42 psi and my mechanical gage reads 41 psi. the fuel pressure regulator is not boost/vacuum referenced so fuel pressure is a constant. Megalog viewer will display values of 2>100 psi when logging fuel pressure.
can this be related to the base issue of the engine dying and not restarting?
I am attaching a datalog where the engine was running fine but about the 172f mark as it warms up the engine starts running rough and then shortly dies and then does not restart.
thanxs
mike
Attachments
trans am tune.msq
(273.31 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
turbotater
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: engine dying and not restarting

Post by turbotater »

it is not letting me add the datalog .says file is too big
turbotater
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbotater »

i made 2 short datalogs
file 1 everything is fine
file 2 engine running rough , dies and does not restart
this was a cold start thru warming up
Attachments
2020-07-20_1.mlg
(237.41 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
2020-07-20_2.mlg
(131.03 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Scott65
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Scott65 »

With regards to your fuel pressure issue, if you're running fixed fuel pressure, change your setting in Tunerstudio to reflect that. Right now you have vacuum referenced selected. Also look at your dead time settings, I'm not sure, but it looks strange maybe. You're idling at a small pulsewidth(to me, I'm not an expert) dead time or fuel pressure either one could cause grief with that. I don't know that either of these is the root cause, but that fuel pressure setting needs to be fixed either way.
Edited to add: you have the small pulsewidths enabled, hopefully you have really good data for that.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

When the engine stalls, do all fuel and ignition outputs work in output test mode?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
turbotater
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbotater »

I have not verified all imputs but I have pulled a spark plug a test fired it and put an led light on to test an injector. . Both were successful