Ford PWM and Microsquirt

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Ford PWM and Microsquirt

Post by hybrid »

I have a ford PWM valve that looks like this:

I'm using one of the original Microsquirts running the latest release version of MS2Extra and attempting to get this working.
The first issue is that when I select PWM Warmup or PWM Closed Loop under idle control, the rest of the settings stay greyed out and inaccessible in TunerStudio.
Am I missing something?

I am able to change the frequency setting under PWM idle settings. I have read the Ford valves like to run at around 300hz, so I have set the frequency to 30.5 x 10 (305Hz)
The valve hums quietly when I turn the ignition on, but it does not seem to move no matter what duty values I set.

Is anyone else using this type of valve and can tell me the settings they are using?
Also, does it matter which side of the valve we use for the vacuum side?
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ford PWM and Microsquirt

Post by hybrid »

Using the idle valve test function, I run from 0 -100, and between 80 and 90, the hum from the valve changes to more of a vibration and the valve seems to move the smallest amount, but seems to close rather than open.
Up to 80%, the valve seems to do nothing.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Ok... so I cut open the valve thinking it was busted and I can at least learn from it, but there is nothing wrong with it.

For a start I was using the wrong port, so the air flow was hindering the workings of the valve.
The valve is designed so that the airflow opens the valve. The motor/solenoid just determines how far the air can open the valve.

The issue as I see it with this valve design is that it's meant to be partially open at all times, and it seems that it requires a lot of air flow to operate the valve properly. Obviously that's why these valves use such large diameter pipes. I don't think this design will work for me. I need a valve that will completely close, and adjust smaller volumes of air.

Maybe the bosch 3 wire will do the trick for me.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I run mine at ~ 50Hz

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Oh really!

Well I've destroyed my valve now, so I may not be using this type of valve any more :lol:
The 3 wire bosch looks much nicer - I wanted to avoid running the resistor setup though, but may just do it now. The whole setup looks much nicer and looks like it will flow a lot less at rest than the ford valve.

50hz... wow. All the docs I found said they run at 300-330hz. What size pipe are you using for it?
I think my biggest issue was that I had my air flow arse about.