Feature Request: Insert columns/rows into Maps

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

ReaperCustoms
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Feature Request: Insert columns/rows into Maps

Post by ReaperCustoms »

Hey all, im not sure if this is the right area to post this?

But just following on from a thread I started here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=55255

One feature I found useful on other ECU's software was the ability to insert rows/columns to the Fuel and ignition maps, This would be more usefull on a 32x32 max map size but for example, you could start with a 16x16 map and not be so worried about choosing the correct RPM or Load bins and commence tuning... If you find that in a certain area of the map you find what the engine wants changes a fair bit over a certain range it and would benefit from a extra row/column say between 3000 and 3500 you can simply right click on the axis and choose "insert column" and then enter 3250. A column would then be inserted into your map and automatically have the values interpolated from the columns either side of it and then you can tune from there.

Sometimes If im not familiar with a motor and not sure where the peak torque is going to be or what boost levels it spends most of its time its difficult to re-arrange the axis once you have a tune 3/4 completed. AFAIK the only way is to manually change it and move all the VE or IGN numbers around?

Or another example, you setup your maps at the start of the project. Decide your only going to use 10psi of boost so you scale your Map to suit that... Then for whatever reason you decide to add another 5psi... If you didnt allow for this when you first started the project you have to manually re-arrange all of the map rather then just inserting a few rows. or setup table switching etc.

Just a thought.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Feature Request: Insert columns/rows into Maps

Post by LT401Vette »

This requires firmware to support variable size tables.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Correct, and that isn't something we can currently do easily (or at all really) the way we allocate flash. We don't allocate it in a dynamic manner right now.

For now, you can move existing bins to where they need to be, and the tuning SW should extrapolate the changes required IIRC.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Just to elaborate on that a little, TunerStudio has a great function built in that allows you to change the bins in 3D tables (like timing, VE, and AFR). Just open the table up in regular (as opposed to 3D) view, and look at the lower left where the X and Y axes meet. There's a button there with a graphic that looks like a right angle with arrowheads at the end of each leg. Click that button and it'll allow you to move your bins around as desired, and it'll adjust the table values accordingly.

For example, say for some reason you have timing RPM bins at 4000, 5500, and 6000, but decide you need one at 5000. You can go into that function and change the 5500 bin to 5000, and it'll interpolate the numbers so you will now have a 5000 RPM bin with timing numbers synthesized from the old 4000 and 5500 RPM bins. You don't "gain" a bin that way, but you can rearrange them to better suit your engine.

As a practical example, early on when I started tuning my engine I made the decision to space all the load and RPM bins in the VE table evenly. I later decided that was a bad idea, and that I'd rather have them closer together at low load than high load, and closer at low RPM vs. high RPM. Using that function in TS, I was easily able to go in and rearrange the bins without affecting the tuning I'd already done.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
ReaperCustoms
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ReaperCustoms »

Thanks ELAW! I actually didnt know about that :D Thats the exact problem I was having and thought the only way to do it was to move all the numbers manually.

Cheers