Sort OT - Linux APM with TunerStudioMS

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Sort OT - Linux APM with TunerStudioMS

Post by Peter Florance »

I have a vague feeling that my Dell battery life is better with Windows XP than Linux. But comm port performance is so crappy in Windows, I prefer to stay in Linux and use TunerStudioMS.
Any secrets to be sure that APM is working (Ubuntu 8.04). and that TunerStudio is in it's 'greenest' mode, AFA battery life?

Thanks to anyone that has insights into Linux APM (power management) and sorry for OT.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Sort OT - Linux APM with TunerStudioMS

Post by LT401Vette »

I'll have to leave the APM question to some with more expertise :)

But for a green TS, I guess the real key is to keep CPU utilization at the lowest.
The main use of CPU is the Dash, using a dashboard with Anti-Aliasing off and fewer gauges will use less CPU. Some more complex dashboards like the Analog Bar dash will burn a good bit more CPU.
Also a slower data rate will reduce CPU power a good bit... The fast the data rate the more frequently the dash will get painted. So if you run at 15 or even 10 records / second you can save a good bit of CPU.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

Possibly worth looking at upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10? I believe there has been a further work on power saving for laptops and better resume/hibernation settings. I haven't installed 9.10 on a laptop yet, but it's working superbly on my two desktops.
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

knightrous wrote:Possibly worth looking at upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10? I believe there has been a further work on power saving for laptops and better resume/hibernation settings. I haven't installed 9.10 on a laptop yet, but it's working superbly on my two desktops.
Thanks for that; I've always felt that power management has been the one of the only weak points of 8.04LTS distribution, but didn't know enough to be sure. That and when my left click goes away and I have to repeatable right click to get the function back. :(

Is an upgrade from 8.04LTS do-able or do I need to do a clean installation?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.