communication issue

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

communication issue

Post by kaeman »

Today I was tuning on my engine, when I connected the laptop to the ecu and powered up the ecu, Tuner Studio showed not connected on the gauge tab. I checked all the other tabs and they showed not connected also. I had to open the communications menu, go to settings and test the port and it showed successful connections then I accepted the settings. Tuner studio connected and I was able to use the software to datalog and auto tune with no problems. After the drive I unplugged the laptop and and used the log viewer to see how everything was working. When I went back to the car to do another test drive, tuner studio didn't connect again, had to go to communications setting test the port accept the successful test and then Tuner studio and the ecu would connect again. I have never had this kind of communication error before.
What file or files do I need to post for you to check this out. I am using 2.9.114. This is the first time the ecu has had a recurring connection issue. It happened each time I connected to the ecu today.
2016-04-24_19.38.06.msq
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: communication issue

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The first thing you should do is see what port tuner studio is looking on. In comunications it will say what port. Then when you do the detect see what port tuner studio finds the ecu on. Your computer/laptop/etc will assign a com port to your usb/serial device when it is plugged in. Usually it gives it the same one each time but not always. Especially if you have been using other devices in between usages of your usb/serial. Device Manager > Hardware > Ports shows what the computer has assigned to the usb/serial device. Tuner studio only remembers to look on the port it is told to. if your computer assigns your usb/serial a different coms port upon it's connection then it won't find it and you will have to detect. Next time you connect if it assigns the old com port No. you have to detect again because you accepted the port change last time, and so on.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

the com setting showed port 3 everytime, and had the warning port not tested, I tested the port and it successfully tested and then I accepted the setting and it connected.
each time the communications setting dialog was opened it was using com 3 and simply telling it to test the port it connected. All the other settings( rs 232, 115200 etc.) were the same each time.
PS I have been using this computer to tune the ecu for several years, I have used the same procedure for connecting to the ecu and it has never done this before. The only time I have had to redo the connection settings was when changing firmware or this last tuner studio upgrade which required setting up the communication parameters for the ecu.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Probably something more specific to the newer TS then I would say. I am still using the older 2.6.14 at the moment.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I think what you are saying is that the main dash said not connected, but you actually were?
If you captured a datalog, you must have been..

Was it only the front dash?
What about the dash in Auto Tune?
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

No it wouldnt connect until I went to the communication menu and selected settings, the looked at the info and told it to test the port. when it tested the port it showed successful and then I accepted the settings and the ecu would connect and then all the features worked, but everytime I connected the laptop after looking at the datalogs in the shop I had to retest the com port before tuner studio would connect to the ecu again, the settings were the same each time.. rs232, com 3, 115200, this has never happened before this last upgrade 114, the unit plugged and connected without having to retest the comm port using update 107, 108, 110, and 112, I didn't connect to the ecu with 113 so I don't know if there were problems there.
Last edited by kaeman on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

LT401Vette wrote:I think what you are saying is that the main dash said not connected, but you actually were?
No it didn't connect at all. I had to go to the communication menu, hit settings and it showed all the correct info, rs232, com 3, 115200, but it showed the port not tested, so I hit test port and the port would test successful, then I accepted the settings and the ecu would connect and everything would work correctly. until I took the laptop out of the car and reviewed the datalogs in the shop, when I went back to the vehicle, the laptop wouldn't connect until I did the same port test and accept. its never done this before.... just this version .114, the other versions 108,110, 112 and 113 didn't have any problem connecting to the ecu.
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

How are you connecting and what OS?

The TunerStudioAppDebug.txt might give some info.
Phil Tobin
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

windows 10 and using the usb cable, I have been using this laptop and cable for a couple years, and never had this happen.
I will look into the tunerstudio folder for the tunerstudioappdebug.txt and load it up. I will have to fire up the laptop.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

the tunerstudiodebugapp.txt file is too big to load here. its 3999kb. its dated 4/24/16. should I send it to your web page email?
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

Phil,
I just sent the tunerstudioappdebug file to your support@efianalytics.com email. Its 4 megs....
Kent
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

I got the log, but it doesn't show much. It was never online in that. It looks like it is just 1 running of TunerStudio for 7 hours where it was scanning COM 3, but it never became available.

Do you still have 2.6 installed on that laptop?
Do you have the same problem with that one?

What type of cable are you using?
Phil Tobin
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

Ok here is a file that I trimmed from the tunerstudioappdebug file. I turned on tuner studio and went out to the vehicle and connected to the ecu using a dynex dx-c114195 high speed usb 2.0 cable, I fired the engine, took a data log, turned off the vehicle, then restarted the vehicle, it connected no problem tonight, both times, without having to go to the com test or setup. I renamed the file tunerstudioappdebuginfo.
I checked my computer and found version 2.6 is still installed, but version 2.9.114 connected to the ecu as soon as it powered up. So I didn't try connecting using the old version.
tunerstudioappdebuginfo.txt
2016-04-27_19.42.29.msl
I found a data log taken on the 24th but it is time stamped before the info in the tunerstudioappdebug file that I sent you. I must have closed and restarted the tuner studio app.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I am happy to report that after upgrading to the 1.4.1 firmware, and setting the communication parameters, TS 2.9.117 is connecting without problems.