MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 am

I was playing with the can settings in tunerstudio trying to get to trans related control because i also have the ms trans controller for 4l80e, but somewhere along the way i couldn't get the ecu to connect anymore, it detects the ecu just wont connect to it.
Attachments
pls help.msq
(263.05 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 am

Bump it says it's some kind of protocol error? relating to the can id i think but no matter how much i mess with it it doesn't work
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby jsmcortina » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 am

Your MSQ looks ok.

Perhaps try re-loading the firmware and then Opening and sending that MSQ.

I'll move this to the TunerStudio section in case those guys have any better diagnostic steps.

James
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
jsmcortina
Site Admin
 
Posts: 33906
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 1:34 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby ashford » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

project properties might be fubared(not stored in msq but ts itself).
make a new project and let it detect and see what happens
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby LT401Vette » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Assuming you are the person that was working with Brian earlier today...
The Protocol errors were CAN timeouts.

So, the MS3 isn't able to talk to it on that CAN ID.

The CAN ID for you trans controller in the project and in the msq matched and were both set to default.

If you go into Project Properties on the CAN Devices tab, if the MS3 can find the Trans Controller on any CAN ID it will show it in the CAN ID drop Down.
If it can not, there may be a problem with your CAN wiring, the Trans Controller Power, etc..

It might be worth trying to connect to the Trans Controller using serial. Verify the CAN ID is set to 7 there too.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
User avatar
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:07 am
Location: Moorseville, NC

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 pm

LT401Vette wrote:Assuming you are the person that was working with Brian earlier today...
The Protocol errors were CAN timeouts.

So, the MS3 isn't able to talk to it on that CAN ID.

The CAN ID for you trans controller in the project and in the msq matched and were both set to default.

If you go into Project Properties on the CAN Devices tab, if the MS3 can find the Trans Controller on any CAN ID it will show it in the CAN ID drop Down.
If it can not, there may be a problem with your CAN wiring, the Trans Controller Power, etc..

It might be worth trying to connect to the Trans Controller using serial. Verify the CAN ID is set to 7 there too.


I was able to connect to the trans side of it, there shouldn't be any issue with with wiring because the car was able to connect before and now i can't get it to, i took some screenshots of what messages came up
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (343.84 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (364.66 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (345.83 KiB) Viewed 310 times
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby LT401Vette » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:25 am

Did you connect to the trans side of it using a different stand alone project.
Then check the CAN ID in the trans controller.

Or with you current project...
- Let it attempt to go online, it will fail the Trans Controller, but go online with the MS3 Gold Box
- Go into Project properties
- Click on the CAN Devices tab
- Select your Trans Controller
- Click the Connected Device Drop down.

If the MS3 is able to talk to the Trans Controller, it will show up in that drop down with the actual CAN ID
Attachments
CAN_Devices.png
CAN_Devices.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
User avatar
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:07 am
Location: Moorseville, NC

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am

LT401Vette wrote:Did you connect to the trans side of it using a different stand alone project.
Then check the CAN ID in the trans controller.

Or with you current project...
- Let it attempt to go online, it will fail the Trans Controller, but go online with the MS3 Gold Box
- Go into Project properties
- Click on the CAN Devices tab
- Select your Trans Controller
- Click the Connected Device Drop down.

If the MS3 is able to talk to the Trans Controller, it will show up in that drop down with the actual CAN ID



Yes i was able to connect to the trans by opening a new project, i'm gonna try the steps you just gave me
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 am

So it will connect for a few seconds but then i get the error messages, here's some more screenshots
Attachments
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (392.71 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (8).png (330.64 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (4).png (357.59 KiB) Viewed 292 times
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby LT401Vette » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 am

What are you plugged in to? MS3 or Trans Controller.
Were you following the above instructions?

In the pic it was talking to the trans controller but with the MS3 project.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
User avatar
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:07 am
Location: Moorseville, NC

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 am

LT401Vette wrote:What are you plugged in to? MS3 or Trans Controller.
Were you following the above instructions?

In the pic it was talking to the trans controller but with the MS3 project.


That was plugged into the ms3 side i think, sorry i'm not great at this stuff but i'm trying, i might just give up and take the car to my builder and let him figure it out this weekend, i followed your instructions and i got essentially the same results.
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby LT401Vette » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:22 am

At this point it might be best to plug into the Trans Controllers Serial and create a new project for the stand alone Trans Controller.

Then check the CAN ID the trans controller is set to.

Set it to 7, then switch back to your normal project.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
User avatar
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:07 am
Location: Moorseville, NC

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

LT401Vette wrote:At this point it might be best to plug into the Trans Controllers Serial and create a new project for the stand alone Trans Controller.

Then check the CAN ID the trans controller is set to.

Set it to 7, then switch back to your normal project.


That's what i did and it still didn't work, I always used the trans as its own project, i'm gonna look into it tomorrow, thanks for your help i really appreciate it
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

Re: MS3 gold wont connect after messing with can settings?

Postby krycek » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Just as an update to all interested, me and my builder reflashed the firmware and started a new project and it works fine now. Thanks for any input.
krycek
MS/Extra Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am


Return to Tuner Studio

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests