MSEXTRA donations

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSEXTRA donations

Post by UnaClocker »

bowtievette wrote:Yes, that was my post. I "hear" Jame "say" he got this cut of sales (in VA?). Maybe he was BS'ing, don't know. He can clear this up. Removing post is not very convincing though. No more to say on ths.
Yeah, in Virginia.. So LONG before MS3 was out, was he even doing MS2-Extra yet at that point? Just takes a little common sense to see you either heard wrong, or confused someone else (Lance maybe?) as James. Lance is about the only one I could imagine getting a cut of the "profits", and that'd be for his tech support in the forums and his work on the MegaManual, and more recently on his GPIO project, but again, the VA meet was pre-GPIO era..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
bowtievette
MS/Extra Guru

Post by bowtievette »

I understood as cut of main boards out then (v2/v3?). James (the "english bloke") can confirm/deny?
HotStreetVw
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by HotStreetVw »

I don't think anyone begrudges James (or anyone else) a cut, but asking for donations on top appears dishonest if they imply that they getting by on donations only. So if James could deny this, it would settle the minds of those who have donated and those who might donate.
1963 Vw 2387cc MSNS Extra, EDIS, wedgeports, fk45, 9:1

Success Story

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=80843
Bruce Bowling
Site Admin

Post by Bruce Bowling »

I was the one who "trimmed" the post.

OK - we (B&G) "give" the major developers of megasquirt items like extra hardware in order to implement and test code, and $$$s to purchase needed tools (i.e. server space to support this forum, for instance). Also we give a very small amount of dollars to them as funds dictate - which then gets sucked right back into MS.

Let me say that the absolute tiny amount of money made is by no means even close to any sense of real payment with respect to the astronomical amount of time and effort put forth by the developers. Let me make it clear that MS is not a profit center by any sense of the word, anyone thinking otherwise needs a real education. We (B&G, resellers, etc) are not getting rich or rolling in $$$s - in fact it right on borderline break-even and losing ground everyday. Having discussions on this topic is extremely distasteful to me because it undermines all of the efforts placed forth by many people.

If anyone wants to discuss this further please contact me directly.

- Bruce
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I certainly don't begrudge any of the developers. Firmware, hardware, tuning software, ALL of the developers deserve every cent they can get. Do you know how much Motec charges for trackside support?!!! A lot and lets leave it at that. The free support we get alone is worth anything we can spare nevermind having firmware THAT ACTUALLY GETS FIXED WHEN BUGS ARE FOUND!.

Ok rant over you may resume your regular programming! :D
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

When first joining this forum I too asked who pays for this forum, the development and etc.? To the credit of Lance and Bruce they were very forthcoming. I appreciate that and believe these kinds of questions must be answered.

There is no doubt in my mind and I believe in the minds of most of us, that the developers of MegaSquirt are not at all rewarded financially in keeping with their contributions. The contributions are enourmous and valued by all of us. The cost to users of the hardware, software, and technical support would indicate a huge subsidy from somewhere. Certainly James, Ken, Phil and Bruce are major contributors as are many others, now and in the past (e.g. Phil Ringwood, Eric Fahlgren come to mind). Mind you this is the MS/Extra stuff not to mention the MS B&G forum and code. Thank you.

We must however have these discussions openly and freely so that those who are new to the forum understand. There must be some income. There are costs beyond just the time of the individuals. This forum for example, Prototypes, tools, research etc.

Also lets not forget the many individuals of this forum that share valuable insights, advise and patience answering questions and doing research to help users. And those individuals that report problems of the hardware and software. All together this has been an enormous effort that is not reflected in the cost but only by all the participation both large and small.

Again, thank you all
24c
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 24c »

Bruce Bowling wrote:..Having discussions on this topic is extremely distasteful to me because it undermines all of the efforts placed forth by many people..
I have just seen these thread, and I'd like to add my 2¢...

I started exploring EFI options years ago, when the project boards were huge in comparison with what you have now. I also know from my own personal experiences of developing odd and sods for my own hobbies, so that others can reap the benefits of my thinkings, there is a small segment that assume you are making a killing. No small scale production run is ever profitable, because the time taken to detail it far outweighs any commercial benefit. If it's a bespoke model car for a wealthy owner great, but a set of stainless steel bobbins for a motorbike or a bespoke oil filter kit for an old car you have no chance.

These "products" folks are making are an act of commercial lunacy, they are never going to hit the motherlode. The pleasure is in achieving, and I imagine the negative criticism provokes quite a bit of soul searching for the instigators & facilitators of these projects.

I would like to say do not be disheartened by these comments, it takes all sorts of people to make a world, and a few are showing their true colours. I am genuinely appreciative of all your efforts, and even though my EFI journey hasn't always been smooth, it has been an education, I have met some nice people on the way, and shared a common interest with many from all over the globe. 8)
Yamaha GTS1000 v2 MicroSquirt, B&G 2.891
Yamaha GTS1000 v3 beta MicroSquirt, B&G3.760
Yamaha GTS1000 MSExtra 3.1, Dual VR Board
Yamaha YZF1000 MSExtra 3.1
BZR Se7en
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BZR Se7en »

Done! Not a huge amount, but I won't feel quite so guilty about my silly questions and the use of other's intellectual property.
Keep up the brilliant work guys.
Patrick
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

You guys ROCK !!!! :yeah!:

funds sent

thanks wd
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

donated ( ms3)

as i've said before, i'm fairly invested in this system, looking forward to actually getting the code and being able to test things out that way as well.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

Donated 100$ for the good work on MS3 :)
Now that I actual geting more an more functions to work, I see what a powerful and wonderful tool this is :yeah!:
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
fixmann
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fixmann »

hi
Thanks to all the people behind MS.
Imagine how big the university must have been to house all the "students" that have been and still is learning EFI from Megasquirt.
Actually schools are using MS to teach new machanics about EFI.
Alot of space needs to be used to sum up all the good things MS have broght to the wourld.

Again thanks to the MS-staff and i think we should inklude their families.

Some $ sendt, will be moore later.

Øyvind
riceandbeans
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by riceandbeans »

Is there a mailing address I can send a check to donate to? I'm paranoid and I hate paypal. Call me old-fashioned. *twirls moustache and straightens flatcap*

PS: I vote for a group buy lap dance for the developers :D
'85 rx7 gs - 6p 13b turbo msns-e hr10f
'85 rx7- efi 12a EDIS ms2/e SA22C Savanna 'replica'
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

riceandbeans wrote:PS: I vote for a group buy lap dance for the developers :D
Maybe you can sort something out at MegaMeet 2011.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
66FairlaneGTer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 66FairlaneGTer »

Done as well. I would like to add, my appreciation stems from not just the hardware, which is more user friendly than anything else on the market, in my opinion, but in the quick responses I have had in these forums. You all have given me something that literaly is worth more money than I could ever give you all, and that is education and information. I truly am indebted to you all. I will send more in the years to come, I am sure.
Darrell
Last edited by 66FairlaneGTer on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Ford Fairlane GTA, 428 EFI (Working on it); 1986 K5 Blazer, MS3 - 383 Stroker ...Jesus, Wife and Kids MUCH more important!
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

jsmcortina wrote:
riceandbeans wrote:PS: I vote for a group buy lap dance for the developers :D
Maybe you can sort something out at MegaMeet 2011.

James
^this
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
chense
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chense »

@James, Ken, Phil, Jean - can you please setup a subscription-mode on PayPal donation accounts, to enable recurring payments/donations (these should be the instructions: https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/ebo ... ctory.html)?

Why doesn't Phil (LT401Vette) have a donate button? Same for recurring donations.

And if somebody stays subscribed / donates for more than 3 consecutive months, more than X (set a bar) $, put him in special forum group (supporting members).

Cheers,
Tom
LT401Vette
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LT401Vette »

Why doesn't Phil (LT401Vette) have a donate button? Same for recurring donations.
My support comes through registration of TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer.

The firmware guys are dependent on donations.
Phil Tobin
EFI Analytics, helping to simplify EFI
Next Generation tuning software.
Supporting all MegaSquirt versions and firmwares.
http://www.TunerStudio.com
http://www.efiAnalytics.com/MegaLogViewer/
Support the firmware running your engine:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/donations.html
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

You guys are AWESOME. Donated again!
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Just dropped a few $ at PayPal.. Not much for what I have received for sure!
I will send more when I can.

Many thanks to all!!!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance